A Hindu Temple, near Eddova in Travencore
Artist: Forbes, James
Plate thirty-six from the first volume of James Forbes'"Oriental Memoirs". Forbes'(1749-1819)journey to the south of India in the early 1770s to take up the post of Warehousekeeper in Anjengo, Travancore, took him through the former Danish factory of Edava. At the time Forbes reached this place, Edava was under the control of the British Chief of Anjengo. He chose to illustrate this temple as it offered 'a fair specimen of the different styles of architecture in the religious structures of Travencore and Malabar, and the Hindoo Dewals in the northern part of India. The pillars in front of the Temple are each of a single stone.'