Auringzebe's Mosque, [Jami Masjid, Mathura]
Photographer: Murray, John
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid at Mathura in Uttar Pradesh, taken by John Murray in the mid 1850s, from the Murray Collection: 'Photographic views in Agra and its vicinity'. Mathura, or Muttra, lies on the Yamuna river north of Agra and is considered to be one of the holiest Hindu cities. It became a centre for the Vaishnava cult by the 15th century and it is celebrated as the birthplace of Krishna, the popular incarnation of Vishnu. The Jami Masjid was completed in 1661 by Abd-un-Nabi, Aurangzeb's governor. The building was once covered with enamelled tiles. It has four minarets that are each 40 m (132 ft) high, and a courtyard raised above the level of the street. The facade had the ninety-nine names of Allah with Persian inscriptions on either side.