A masterpiece of oriental magnificence - palace of the Maharaja of Jeypore, India
Photographer: Ricalton, James
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of a view from a courtyard of the Chandra Mahal in Jaipur in Rajasthan, taken by James Ricalton in c. 1903, from The Underwood Travel Library: Stereoscopic Views of India. Jaipur was founded in 1727 as the prestigious state capital by Maharaja Jai Singh II (r.1699-1743) of the Kachwaha Rajputs. It was built on the site of a royal hunting lodge and garden on a plain ringed by hills five miles south of Amber, the previous state capital. Jaipur is today known as the ‘Pink City’ for the pink wash on the buildings in the old walled quarter of the city. The city palace is contained within a boundary wall, and is situated in the centre of the city. The Chandra Mahal (c.1727-34) is the earliest and most important part of the city palace. It is a seven-storey building with a spacious verandah overlooking the Jai Niwas gardens. The palace has the screened balconies and a roof-top pavilion found in many Rajasthan palaces, and a symmetrical design which is characteristic of the city as a whole. This is one of a series of 100 photographs, designed to be viewed through a special binocular viewer, producing a 3D effect, which were sold together with a book of descriptions and a map. Stereoscopic cameras, those with two lenses and the ability to take two photographs at the same time, were introduced in the mid 19th century.