Ahmedabad - Window and base of minaret in Rani Spiri's [sic] Mosk
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Rani Sipri's Mosque, Ahmedabad, from James Burgess' 'Photographs of Architecture and Scenery in Gujarat and Rajputana' taken by Colin Murray in c.1872. Rani Sipri's Mosque is situated in the old city of Ahmedabad and was built in 1514. It is also known as Masjid-e-Nagira or Jewel of a Mosque, because of its elegant proportions and slender minarets. It is a small structure with a row of paired columns to the front. This photograph gives a close view of the base of the richly-carved south minaret with the balcony window on the south elevation visible in the background.