Photograph looking towards the ghats, with temples and other buildings beyond from 'Views of Benares, from the River Side' taken by Brajo Gopal Bromochary in 1869. "Dasaswamedh Ghat is exceedingly venerated by the natives of the city, as well as by pilgrims and devotees and is much frequented for its sanctity. It is one of the five celebrated places of pilgrimage in Benares." Dashashvamedha Ghat, on the River Ganges at Varanasi, is one of the busiest of the cities many ghats, where residents and pilgrims perform their ablutions, Brahmin priests sit on wooden platforms under bamboo umbrellas to offer prayers for their clients, masseurs ply their trade and boatmen jostle for custom. The name of the Ghat is derived from the legend that this was the site where Lord Brahma performed the "Das ashvamedha" (10 horse) sacrifice for the King Divodasa. Also in the photograph is Ahalya Bai's Ghat which was named after the Queen Ahalya Bai Holkar of Indore, who also sponsored the Vishwanatha Temple in the 18th century.