A modern inscription, apparently on the same pillar as print 457-458, Deo Baranark
Photographer: Garrick, Henry Baily Wade
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a modern inscription on a pillar at Deo Baranark, taken by Henry Baily Wade in 1880-81. In the report of his photographic tour of 1881-82 Garrick wrote, "There are three inscriptions at Deo-Varunarak, two old and cut on two angles of one of the court-yard pillars, and one more modern Deva Nagari near the site of the entrance gateway of the large temple." This large temple is dedicated to Vishnu and is twenty four feet square in size. The inscription is carved on one of the four pillars and is nineteen lines long. It records a donation made by King Jivita Gupta to build the temple in the eighth century which undermines Garrick's claim that the earliest temple at Deo Baranak was built in the ninth century.