Photographer: Saché, John Edward
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Almora, from the ‘Album of Indian Views’, taken by John Edward Saché during the 1860s. Almora, situated on a horseshoe shaped hill, was the capital of the independent Hindu Kingdom of Kumaon until it was attacked and incorporated into the Gurkha Empire in 1790. After the Anglo-Nepal war (1814-16) it became a part of British India and developed as a prosperous hill station. The town overlooks a fertile terraced valley and a range of hills. Almora is also known for its temples, in particular the temple of Goddess Nanda Devi. Almora is considered to be one of the most beautiful places in the Kumaon area and is famous for the local crafts of copperware and woollens.