A pagoda at Toungoo, with brick causeway approaches
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a pagoda in Taungoo taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. The town of Taungoo is situated towards the northern end of the Bago Division in central Burma. It was once the capital of an important post-Pagan (Bagan) kingdom of the 15th and 16th centuries. This is a view looking along brick causeway approaches towards the pagoda, which stands amid palm trees. The pagoda or temple complex consists of several stupas, the characteristic shrine form of Burmese Buddhist architecture. A stupa is a solid structure enshrining sacred relics, precious stones and images of the Buddha. It is composed of a bell-shaped dome narrowing to a conical spire, ornamented with bands of moulding. It rests on a series of square terraces, and is crowned with a metal umbrella or hti. Gilding is often applied to part of the structure or the whole.