A passage in the [Minakshi Sundareshvara] temple, Madura
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895. Vol II'of a columned hall in the Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple at Madurai, taken by Nicholas and Company in the 1890s. The Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple was built under the patronage of Tirumala Nayak (1623-1659). The temple is dedicated to Shiva and his consort Minakshi. The complex is within a high-walled enclosure and has eleven huge towers and four entrance gopurams. Inside this enclosure there are columned mandapas, tanks, shrines and the two temples of Shiva and Minakshi. This view shows a columned mandapa or hall. The piers have rearing yalis, mythical animals and figures of divinities carved in full relief on their shafts. The brackets have pendant buds projecting outwards from seated yalis.