A section of haulageway looking towards Winch Camp [Simla]. The total height of the 2 haulages is 4000ft.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a section of haulageway looking towards the winch camp at Simla (Shimla) in Himachal Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1920s. Simla, in the foothills of the Himalayas, came to British notice after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16). Captain Charles Pratt Kennedy, Superintendent of the Hill States built the first permanent European building there and Lord Amherst was the first Governor-General to visit Simla in 1827. The hill-station became popular with British residents of India from the 1820s, attracted here by the temperate climate so conducive to good health, and the spectacular scenery. The Governor-General began to take his council with him to the hills to escape the intense heat of Calcutta 1300 miles away. It thus became the summer capital of the British administration, and during the season was the fashionable focus of Indian society.