Adina Mosque, Parrua [Pandua].
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s and is part of the collection of Sir Richard Carnac Temple (Views of monuments in India). The Adina Mosque (1374-5) was built by Sikander Shah the second sultan of the Ilyas dynasty. It is one of the best surviving examples of early Indo-Islamic architecture in India and is similar in size and design to the great mosque at Damascus. Once the largest mosque on the Indian sub-continent, it incorporates earlier Hindu and Buddhist masonry probably taken from Gaur. The interior is 152.4 m (500ft) long from north to south and 91.4 m (300ft) wide.