Alipore Road, Calcutta.
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of scenery on the road to the village of Alipore, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Alipore was a village to the south of Calcutta, which, together with Kidderpore and Bhowanipore, later became a suburb of the city. They were set apart from the city by the canal known as Tolly's Nullah, which necessitated the building of bridges across it.