Alipore Bridge, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Alipore Bridge, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Colonel William Tolly wanted to create a functioning canal in the city by enlarging the dried-up bed of the Kidderpore Creek, to facilitate the passage of ships from the river Hooghly to the delta in the east. Completed in 1777, the 17-mile long canal was popularly known as Tolly's Nulla (nullah meaning creek-bed).
Kidderpore, Alipore and Bhowanipore were three suburbs of Calcutta, south of the Maidan. They were set apart from it by Tolly's Nullah (a canal), which necessitated the building of such bridges. This is a general view of the suspension bridge, which crosses Tolly's Nulla at Alipore.