Aviary in Barrackpore Park
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Aviary at Barakpur Park with gardeners at work in foreground, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Barrackpore, 24 km to the north of Calcutta on the river Hooghly, was originally permanent barracks for the British army and later became the summer residence of the British Governor Generals. Marquess Wellesley was British Governor-General in Calcutta from 1797 to 1805, and made many improvements to Barrackpore. The Aviary was one of the improvements to Barrackpore, he also designed the 'English Style' Park and added a theatre and a menagerie to the area.