Adyar Club, Madras, 1901-02
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Adyar Club, at Madras (Chennai), Tamil Nadu, from the Macnabb Collection (Col James Henry Erskine Reid): Album of Indian views, taken in c.1901-02. Now known as the Madras Club, the Adyar Club was founded in 1891 and became one of two favourite resorts of Madras society. It was based in a late-18th-century house once owned by Mr George Moubray in a riverside location on the banks of the river Adyar in southern Madras. This view shows the façade facing the river. The original house was one of the city’s famous garden houses, spacious colonial bungalows set in grounds, known as Madras ‘flat-tops’ adapted from Palladian prototypes. An octagonal cupola was later added which is now embedded in a later extension.