Photographer: Deen Dayal, Lala
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Amber Fort in Rajasthan, taken by Lala Deen Dayal in the 1880s Curzon Collection: 'Views of places proposed to be visited by Their Excellencies Lord & Lady Curzon during Autumn Tour 1902'. Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. Amber was the ancient capital of the Kachwaha Rajputs from c.1150 until the foundation of Jaipur in 1727. In c.1600 Man Singh (r.1592-1615) created the Jaigarh Fort by renovating an existing fort which stood on the summit of a rocky hill overlooking a strategic pass. He also began construction of the Raj Mahal or Old Palace on the hillside below, overlooking Maota Lake. This is a view from the northern end of the lake looking towards the palace. The trees of Mohan Bari, an enclosed lakeside garden, can be seen below the palace on the left, and the fort with its ramparts in the distance.