Asht Dhati (Eight metals) Gate. North entrance of Bharatpur Citadel
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Asht Dhati or Eight Metals Gate at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The gate is the north entrance of Bharatpur citadel and was so called because its doors were made of an alloy of eight metals. The citadel, also known as the Lohagarh or Iron Fort, was built by the Jat king Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) in 1733 when he captured an older fort on the site from a rival Jat chief and the state capital was transferred to Bharatpur. It stands in the north-west corner of the walled city and had massive double ramparts surrounded by a deep, wide moat. This view of the gate shows a bridge over the moat leading to an imposing portal set between bastions. Paintings of elephants can be faintly seen on the stone façade at either side of the central pointed arch.