Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Residency at Bharatpur in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. This is a general view from the garden of the Residency, also known as the Agency bungalow. It was the home of the Resident, the political officer of the British Raj, who administered an area composed of the three states of Bharatpur, Dholpur and Karauli. The first Political Agent (known as Residents after 1881) for the district was appointed in 1855 and in 1897 the headquarters were transferred from Dholpur to Bharatpur. The bungalow is an example of British colonial architecture and is built in an Anglo-Indian architectural style. Originally a lightly-constructed, single-storey dwelling with a verandah, the colonial bungalow had evolved by the early 20th century to become an imposing, multi-storeyed residence as shown in this view.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.