Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The fort was built by the Jat Raja Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) when the capital of Bharatpur was transferred to Bharatpur from Dig in 1733. It is a
citadel sited at the north-west corner of the walled city and was built with massive double ramparts reinforced by bastions, surrounded by a wide, deep moat. This view from the south shows the ramparts to the right with an expanse of moat in the
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.