Barahdari at Jawahar Burj [Bharatpur]
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a baradari on Jawahur Burj in the fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The fort was built by the Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) on the site of an older fort when he captured
Bharatpur from a rival Jat chief in 1733. Known as the Lohagarh or Iron Fort, it proved to be an almost impregnable citadel. It is sited at the north-west corner of the walled city and was built with massive double ramparts reinforced by eight bastions, surrounded by a wide moat. The baradari stands on the summit of the Jawahur Burj, a bastion in the north-west corner of the fort. It is an open pavilion with three cusped arches on each side and a double cornice. There is a panoramic view from its elevated position, glimpsed here in the distance.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.