Back of Gopal Bhawan, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Gopal Bhavan at Dig in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Gopal Bhavan is one of four main pavilions in the 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, built by Suraj Mal (r.1733-63). The pavilions are arranged around a formal garden laid out in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh, flanked by two large reservoirs or tanks. These supply the palace’s innumerable fountains and other water features designed to evoke the romance of the monsoon season. This view shows the rear façade of the Gopal Bhavan (c.1763), the principal pavilion, which lies on the western edge of the garden and overlooks the Gopal Sagar reservoir. Built of yellow sandstone, it is flanked by two smaller pavilions with curved bangla roofs, the Sawan and Bhadon Bhavans which are named after the monsoon months. The lower arcades of the three pavilions rise directly from the water in the tradition of Rajput water palaces.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V (1865-1936). The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.