Bandh Baraytha [Bareta Bund] about 23 miles from Bharatpur
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Bareta Bund near Bharatpur in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. This is a view of the bund or dam, with pavilions on a pier at the edge of the lake. The bund was the most important of many irrigation
works in Bharatpur State and was its main storage reservoir, covering about four square miles in area. It was built across the Kakand river and was begun in 1866, eventually being completed in 1897 after work was abandoned between 1869 and 1895.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.