Photograph of a view of the road leading from Naini Tal to Bareilly from the Murray Collection: 'Photographic views in Agra and its vicinity', taken by John Murray in the mid-1850s. Bareilly was a former Mughal Capital ceded to the British in 1801. The Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Nepal War (1814-16) but the hill station town of Naini Tal was only founded in 1841. It became a sanitorium and resort, both for soldiers and those wishing to escape the heat of the plains. Later it became the summer residence for the Governor of the United Provinces. Government House was built in 1899 by F.W.Stevens who also built many Gothic buildings in Bombay. The Naini Devi Temple is situated at the northern end of the eye-shaped lake, which gives the resort its name. It is one of the 64 peethas or pilgrimage sites sacred to Sati (Shakti), Shiva's wife, because her eye is believed to have fallen to earth on that spot.