Back of Hindoo Rao's House, [Delhi].
Photographer: Tytler, Robert and Harriet
Medium: Photographic print
Part of a portfolio of photographs taken in 1858 by Major Robert Christopher Tytler and his wife, Harriet, at Delhi, Lucknow and Cawnpore in the aftermath of the Uprising of 1857. This house was built in c.1820 for William Fraser (1784-1835), agent to the Governor General in Delhi and was bought by Hindu Rao after Fraser's death. Hindu Rao was the brother of the Baiza Bai of Gwalior, the widow of Daulat Rao Scindia. During the Uprising, this house was strategically important to the British and was held by Major Reid and a force of Gurkhas, who suffered severely from enemy artillery. This building is now a Hospital.