Bangalore, Madras [Karnataka]. Fort.
Photographer: Nicholas Bros
Medium: Photographic print
This view of the ruined fort at Bangalore was taken by Nicholas Bros in the 1860s to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. It shows two masonry-built battered round bastions in a style typical of defensive architecture in India throughout the medieval and modern periods. The site was originally the location of a mud fort built by a Vijayanagar chieftain in 1537. The existing fort was built Haidar Ali in 1761 and was later occupied by his son, Tipu Sultan. The fort is unusual in its oval shape. It originally had eight gates. Only the Delhi Gate, which is particularly known for its fine plasterwork motifs, remains.