Bangalore, Madras [Karnataka]. The Lall Bagh, or Red Garden.
Photographer: Nicholas Bros
Medium: Photographic print
This view of the Red Garden or 'Lal Bagh' in Bangalore was taken by Nicholas Bros in the 1860s to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. The Lal Bagh was created in the late eighteenth century by the Raja of Mysore Haider Ali Khan, (c.1722 - 1782) as a pleasure retreat. It was converted into a horticultural garden by the British in 1856 and was stocked with many rare and exotic varieties of plants and trees brought from Persia, Afghanistan and France. At this point the garden had its own superintendent from Kew Gardens in London. The Glass House, built in 1889, was reputedly modelled on London’s Crystal Palace.