Buildings under repair in the Shalimar Gardens, Lahore. 1003945
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of buildings under repair in the Shalimar Gardens, Lahore taken by Henry Cole in 1884 as part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections (Indian Museum Series). The Shalimar Gardens were built for the empress Nur Jahan by her husband Jahangir in 1616. They are approached via a walkway strewn with lotus plants along the route of a canal leading from Lake Dal. In the centre of the garden is a wide, rectangular basin in which there is a black marble pavilion surrounded by fountains and jets of water. Behind, are rows of chini-kanas or pigeon holes, in which lights were placed behind the cascading water.