Buddhists [sic] remains (Sarnath). 39
Photographer: Prasad, Madho
Medium: Photographic print
View of archaeological remains at Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh,from the Kitchener of Khartoum Collection: 'Views of Benares. Presented by the Maharaja of Benares' by Madho Prasad, c. 1905. Sarnath is the sacred place where the Buddha preached his first sermon known as the Wheel of Law, the Dharmachakra in the sixth century BC. This set the foundation for the development of the Buddhist faith. The site is very sacred and became one of the leading pilgrimage places of Buddhism. The remains here reveal a continuous occupation from the period of Ashoka in the third Century BC until the last days of the faith in northern India in the 11th to 12th Centuries. The buildings excavated at this site are extensive and varied; except for the Dhamekh Stupa, however, they are mostly confined to the foundations of brick stupas, shrines and monasteries.