Buddhist pillared temple at Nair, Gya.
Photographer: Peppé, Thomas Fraser
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the temple remains was taken by Thomas Fraser Peppé in 1870 and is part of the collection of Sir Richard Carnac Temple. Descriptive notes by Peppé accompanying the photographs read as follows, 'Nair is on the Patna and Gya road, west from Dharawut, and about twenty miles from Gya. There is a pillared temple close to the road very much in the same style as the temple at Poonawa. It consists of three rows of monolithic pillars, ten pillars in each row. Fronting the temple there is a further row of four pillars. The temple behind consists of brick and mud cement, but very little of it is now standing; the superstructure is entirely gone, and none of the temples of this form are sufficiently complete to allow a conjecture as to their original form. The roof of the portico and the shrine is composed of large granite slabs, a linga now occupies the shrine, and there is a mutilated figure of Ganesh lying outside. Judging by the size of the mound, and the part of the shrine remaining, the temple must have been a lofty one...'