Buddhist temple at Koch, Gya.
Photographer: Peppé, Thomas Fraser
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Buddhist temple at Konch, Bihar taken by Thomas Fraser Peppé in 1870 and is part of the collection of Sir Richard Carnac Temple. This ancient brick-built temple is one of the oldest still extant temples in India, linked to the great Bodh Gaya temple. The Konch tample differs from the Bodh Gaya temple in that the latter's four sides are straight from top to bottom whilst the Konch temple has curved sides in theupper portion. Moreover, the Bodh Gaya temple has numerious niches with images and ornamentations on the exterior of its walls whilst the Konch temple does not have niches. Descriptive notes by Peppé accompanying the photographs explain that the temple is in a ruined condition and state that although the temple contains a linga, 'whether it is Buddhist or Saivite is a moot point'. Furthermore, 'The west side of the temple has been much damaged by the heavy rains, and large masses keep falling year by year. Unless something is done, this fine temple will soon be a mass of rubbish'.