Bazaar, Circular Road, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A Hand-coloured print from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. This is a view of a Bazaar in the Circular Road, which was one of the improvements to the city devised by Marquess Wellesley on his appointment as Governor-General in 1798. The Upper and Lower Circular Road surrounded the city and terminated, at the lower end, just before 'Tolly's Nulla', named after Colonel Tolly who formed a canal linking the river to the delta in the east from the dried-up bed of Kidderpore Creek.