Banquetting [sic. for Memorial] Hall, Barrackpore
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the Memorial Hall, Barakpur, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. The Memorial Hall, also known as 'The Temple of Fame' was built in 1813 by Captain George Rodney Blane, this cenotaph is located in Barrackpore, approximately 24 km north of Calcutta along the Hooghly river. It was built in commemoration of the soldiers, who died during the conquest of Java and Mauritius in 1810-1811.