Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of Barakpur Hotel , from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Barrackpore, 24 km to the north of Calcutta on the river Hooghly, was originally permanent barracks for the British army and later became the summer residence of the British Governor Generals. Marquess Wellesley was British Governor-General in Calcutta from 1797 to 1805, and made many improvements to Barrackpore. He had the gardens of Barrackpore Park laid out in the 'English Style' and the extensive grounds contained a theatre, an aviary and a menagerie. This is a view of the entrance of the Barakpur Hotel from the driveway. The steps are shaded with a thatched roof, with a verandah of double Ionic columns above.