Barnes Court, Simla, 1882
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph by an unknown photographer, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. Simla, now the capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh, is a hill-station at 7000 ft in the Himalayan foothills, developed by the British after 1816 as a summer retreat and sanatorium. The Governor-General moved here during the hot summer months and it was known as the summer capital of the British in India. The Punjab government also spent the summer here. Barnes Court, here photographed from the garden, was from 1879 the residence at Simla of the Lieutenant-Governor of the Punjab. Three of Sir Charles Aitchison's children and a servant stand on the lawn in the foreground. The building, resembling an English country house; half-timbered and set in spacious grounds, had originally been the official residence of the Commander-in-Chief in India from 1849 to 1865 and was named after General Sir Edward Barnes. It featured a ballroom in the Moorish style added by John Lockwood Kipling, Principal of the Mayo School of Art in Lahore (and father of Rudyard Kipling). It is now the Raj Bhavan or official residence of the Governor of Himachal Pradesh.