Buildings on the Krishnagiri, Gingi [Gingee], South Arcot District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the buildings on the Krishnagiri Hill at Gingee in Tamil Nadu from the 'Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Madras, 1894-95'. Gingee is situated south-west of Madras and was established during the Chola dynasty. The fort at Gingee has been occupied by the Vijayanagara kings, the Nayakas, the Adil Shahi dynasty, the Marathas, the French and the British. It consists of three fortified hills; Krishnagiri, Chandragiri and Rajagiri. The citadel stands on the summit of the central Rajagiri hill and it is protected by seven gateways. This view of Krishnagiri Hill shows that some of the buildings were built on a raised platform supported by columns.