Bassein, Thana District. Entrance to the chapel of the Augustinian Convent
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Augustinian Convent at Bassein, Thana District of Maharashtra, taken by Henry Cousens for the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Western India 1897-98. Bassein, situated 45 km north of Bombay, is an old fortified Portuguese city which prospered from 1534 to 1739. During this period the town was inhabited by Portuguese nobles who built many churches, convents and houses. This view shows the entrance doorway of the chapel of the Augustinian Convent, filled in with rubble masonry. An ornate pediment above the doorway contains a coat of arms.