Bassein, Thana District. Side entrance to the church of the Jesuits [Church of the Holy Name of Jesus]
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the doorway of the Church of the Jesuits with a figure, probably Henry Cousens, leaning against the architrave, possibly taken by an assistant of Cousen for the Archaeological Survey of India Collection: Western India 1897-98. Bassein, situated 45 km north of Bombay, is an old fortified Portuguese city which prospered from 1534 to 1739. During this period the town was inhabited by Portuguese nobles who built many churches, convents and houses. The Church of the Jesuits was built in 1548 and repaired not long before this photograph was taken. Inside the church there is a dado of Sind tilework which was probably acquired in 1555 when the Portuguese sacked the city of Thatta.