Baz-Bahadur's Palace, Mandu
Photographer: Raja Deen Dayal & Sons
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Baz Bahadur’s Palace at Mandu in Madhya Pradesh, taken by Raja Deen Dayal & Sons in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of places proposed to be visited by Their Excellencies Lord & Lady Curzon during Autumn Tour 1902'. Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. This is a view of the ruined palace and shows the façade rising out of the undergrowth with trees in the foreground. Mandu became a hillfort as early as the 6th century but it was not until the 10th century that it gained prominance under the Paramara dynasty. Most of the surviving architecture was built between 1401 and 1531 when the city was the thriving capital of the Sultans of Malwa. They renamed the fort ‘Shadiabad’ (City of Joy) and built palaces, mosques and tombs beside gardens and lakes within its walls. After the fall of the Malwa Sultanate, Daulat Khan ruled Mandu as Sultan Baz Bahadur from 1555 until 1561 when he was deposed by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605). The Palace of Baz Bahadur stands on a hill above the sacred tank Rewa Kund, contained in the royal enclosure in southern Mandu. It was built in c.1509, before Baz Bahadur came to power, but was occupied by him.