Bhurtpore citadel from South, Sinsini Burj
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the fort at Bharatpur in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The fort was built by the Sinsini Jat king Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) when the capital of Bharatpur was transferred to Bharatpur from Dig in 1733. It is a citadel sited at the north-west corner of the walled city and was built with massive double ramparts reinforced by bastions, surrounded by a wide, deep moat. This view from the south shows the ramparts to the right with an expanse of moat in the foreground. The Sinsini Burj is probably one of the two hill-like bastions beyond the ramparts.