Baradari of Krishn Bhawan, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the baradari or roof pavilion on the Kishan Bhavan at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Kishan Bhavan is one of four main pavilions in the beautiful 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig built by Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). The pavilions are arranged around a formal garden filled with fountains in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh, flanked by two large reservoirs or tanks. The Kishan Bhavan (c.1760) stands on a terrace at the southern edge of the garden, with the baradari set to the rear of its roof. This side view shows the cusped arch colonnade and deep projecting double eaves or chajjas of the baradari with a two-storey bay projecting from the wall below. Beyond the courtyard is a view of the exterior walls and bangla roofs of the Purana Mahal or Old Palace.