Burdwan - The 108 Temples (Nawab Hat)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of part of the complex of 108 temples at Barddhaman (Burdwan), West Bengal, taken by an unknown photographer in c. 1904. Part of an album of photographs presented to Lord Curzon, the Viceroy of India, by Bijay Chand Mahtab of Burdwan (r.1887-1941), on his short visit to the city on 2nd April 1904. The temple was built in the nawabhat just outside the town of Burdwan in 1788 by Maharani Adhirani Vishnu Kumar Devi wife of Tilak Chand Bahadhur (r.1744-71) and mother of Tej Chand Bhadhur (r.?-1832). The temples were built in concentric circles with a tank in front of them. This view shows the outer perimeter of small shrines with double-vaulted roofs of the Shiva Temple.