Photographer: Herzog and Higgins
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Vist of His Excellency the Viceroy. Kotah, November, 1902' of the riverbank at Kota, taken by P.A. Herzog and P. Higgins in 1902. The Rajput city of Kota was founded in the 14th century within the borders of the state of Bundi, but became the capital of an independent princely state in 1625. It lies on a plain in the hilly south of Rajasthan, and is situated on the east bank of the Chambal, Rajasthan’s largest river. This view on the Chambal shows the Bhutji-ghat, steps leading down to the water used for bathing, washing, collecting water, and ceremonial purposes. Colonnaded arcades are built in two tiers above the ghats, a crenellated, buttressed masonry wall rises behind, part of the city ramparts.