Back wall (west façade) of Sidi Sayyid's Mosque, Ahmadabad, showing perforated windows
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Sidi Sayyid's Mosque at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, reproduced in collotype in Archaeological Survey of Western India (VII, pl. lxvi). This mosque was built in 1572-3, by a nobleman of the time of Sultan Muzaffar III (r.1561-72) and was once part of the city walls. It has ten semicircular shaped windows; two carved with intricate tracery in the form of tree stems and branches and the other eight comprising square compartments filled with a variety of patterns. This view of the west facade shows the two windows with the tree motif and a further two with patterned compartments. The remaining six windows are on the south and north outer walls.