Carved stone temple near the Pagoda, Tanjore.
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Subrahmanya temple in the Brihadishvara Temple at Tanjore, taken by Samuel Bourne in 1869. The Brihadishvara Temple built by the Chola king Rajaraja around 1010, is a monumental temple standing in the middle of a large courtyard surrounded by smaller shrines. To the east, a monolithic Nandi is sheltered in a 16th century pavilion. On the north-west of the main shrine, there is a temple dedicated to Subrahmanya dating to the 17th century. Its pyramidal roof and its outer walls are covered with fine sculptures.The main temple is entered through the east by two gateways. The tall pyramidal tower over the sanctuary reaches 70 metres and consists of diminishing storeys culminating in the octagonal domed roof and the golden pot finial.