Cherat cantonment, NWFP.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Cherat Cantonment, from an Album of Miscellaneous views in India, taken in the 1870s. Cherat, on the west of the Khattak range of hills was established as a sanatorium in 1861 by the British so that troops in the North West Frontier Province could escape the heat and disease of the Peshawar valley. It was declared a cantonment in 1886 and became the summer headquarters of troops in the Peshawar area.