Charbag Building Bharatpur
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Baldeo Singh’s Kacheri at Charbag, in Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. Bharatpur became the capital of Bharatpur State in 1733 under the rule of the Sinsini Jats, who built a fort, palaces
and government buildings in the town, including this kacheri, or judicial court. Baldeo Singh (r.1823-1825) was the ninth Maharaja of Bharatpur. The kacheri and its garden setting are characteristic of Jat architecture, in particular the 18th-century palace complex at Dig which consists of arcaded pavilions set around a formal garden. The garden in the foreground is divided into parterres in the Mughal style known as a char bagh, which has presumably given its name to the place.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.