Chhattri of H.H. The Maharaja Balwant [?Baldeo] Singh at Gobardhan, (20 miles from Bharatpur)
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a chhatri at Gobardhan, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. This is a view of the west façade of the chhatri, a memorial pavilion, from the tank or reservoir in front with steps in the foreground. It is probably Baldeo Singh's chhatri rather than Balwant Singh's. Baldeo Singh (r.1823-1825) was the 9th Maharaja of Bharatpur, the capital of the Jat state. His chhatri is one of four cenotaphs commemorating the Maharajas of Bharatpur at Gobardhan, which is also a site of Hindu pilgrimage. The chhatri is built of sandstone and stands at the western end of a formal garden or char bagh divided into quadrants in the Mughal style. Adjacent to the garden is a tank or reservoir which the chattri overlooks to the rear.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.