Closing opening [of] Nicol subsidiary dam [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph by E Taurines of the Nicol subsidiary dam during construction of the Victoria Dock in Bombay City taken between 1885 and 1888. In 1884, it was decided to extend Prince's Dock. The extension which later came to be called Victoria Dock was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft. long by 230 ft. wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance. The Musjid and Nicol basins were absorbed into the new scheme. The subsidiary dams made at these basins were completed in 1886. The excavation and masonry work was undertaken by Messrs. Kirby and Co.