Celebrated Man Singh [Man Mandir] Palace, Gwalior, covered with carvings and enameled tiles
Photographer: Ricalton, James
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph looking towards the Hathia Paur Gate (Elephant Gate) of the Man Mandir Palace at Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, taken by James Ricalton in c. 1903, from The Underwood Travel Library: Stereoscopic Views of India. Gwalior rose to prominence during the period of Tomar Rajput rule between 1398 and 1518, particularly during the reign of Raja Man Singh (r.1486-1517). The Hathia Paur gate is the main entrance to the Man Mandir, the palace of Man Singh, in the fort at Gwalior. The Man Mandir dominates the east flank of the fort with its impressive façade forming part of the curtain wall, regularly spaced by circular towers with domed pavilions. The fort stands on a long, narrow, sheer-sided hill almost 100 m (300 feet) high. A long ramp on the eastern side leads up through six gates to the summit of the hill. The Hathia Paur Gate is the second last of the six gates; the final gate, the Hawa Paur has since been removed. This view shows a portion of the exterior wall on the southern facade; the walls are covered in blue, yellow and green tiles applied in friezes of geometric patterns, animals and trees.This is one of a series of 100 photographs, designed to be viewed through a special binocular viewer, producing a 3D effect, which were sold together with a book of descriptions and a map. Stereoscopic cameras, those with two lenses and the ability to take two photographs at the same time, were introduced in the mid 19th century and revolutionised photography. They cut down exposure time and thus allowed for some movement in the image without blurring as subjects were not required to sit for long periods to produce sharp results.