Chutter Munzil from the Goomtee, Lucknow.
Photographer: Shepherd and Robertson
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Chutter Manzil from the Gomti river, Lucknow from the 'Strachey Collection of Indian Views', taken by Shepherd and Robertson in 1862. The Chuttar Manzil or Umbrella Palaces (1820s) were 'so named for their distinctive, triple umbrella pavilaions or chatris which ornament the domes. The larger or Greater Chattar Manzil had three storeys with tykhanas or suites of underground rooms. The Lesser Chattar Manzil comprises government offices. Both are impressive if illdisciplined architectural hybrids'.